This baked oatmeal can be made ahead and warmed up when you need it. I usually make some on Saturday night so we can have a easy but nice breakfast on Sunday morning before we head out to church. Weekends just aren't for cold cereal, in my humble opinion.
Printable Version Here
Prep: 10 minutes
Bake: 1 hr 10 minutes
1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
1 c. milk
2 tsp. vanilla
3 T. melted butter (or oil of your choice)
4-6 T. cane sugar*
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
3 c. oatmeal
1 c. berries (I used half frozen blueberries and half frozen raspberries)
milk to serve
*I've gotten away with as little as 4 T. until my family starts to complain. 6 T. is definitely on the sweet side. Both are good. It's your call.
1. Preheat oven to 350 and butter a 2 1/2 quart baking dish
2. In a bowl, stir together the eggs, melted butter, applesauce, milk, and sugar.
3. In another bowl, stir the oats, baking powder, and salt. (Or to save yourself some dishwashing, sprinkle the salt and baking powder over the wet, followed by the oats).
4. Add dry to wet, stirring well.
5. Pour the mixture into the buttered pan.
6. Gently stir the berries into the batter. Don't stir anymore than necessary or the berries will bleed into the oatmeal and discolor it.
7. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
Slice and serve with milk.