Teach Eat Love

Healthy Toddler Cookies

toddler cookies

These toddler “cookies” are perfect for a quick and nutritious snack. They’re soft and easy for little mouths to chew. My daughter would probably eat the whole batch in a single sitting if I’d let her. And they’re full of great ingredients like oats, veggies, and fruit. They’re also vegan and gluten-free.

I do have “cookies” in quotes for a reason, though; these are NOT sweet, chewy cookies. They are cakey, naturally sweetened snacks that are perfect for little hands. But if you’re craving a real cookie, these aren’t going to cut it.

[cft format=0]

25 Responses to “Healthy Toddler Cookies”

1. qutins March 21, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Awesome! I have been looking for a dairy free breakfast cookie recipe for my little one 🙂

• Anne Myer March 22, 2013 at 2:05 am

So glad you found me – hope it’s a hit! 🙂

2. Polina March 22, 2013 at 2:33 am

Thanks for the recipe! We enjoyed it. How do you store them?

• Anne Myer March 22, 2013 at 2:37 am

That’s great! I store them in tupperware for a couple of days. After that, they can get kind of wonky. They freeze beautifully, though – I sometimes double the recipe to have a freezer stash. I grab a few for a day trip and toss them in a bag; they thaw nicely by the time my daughter is hungry.

3. Polina March 22, 2013 at 2:38 am

So you don’t put them in the fridge, just room temperature?

• Anne Myer March 22, 2013 at 11:34 am

Yeah, I’ve just left them out since there’s not really anything in them to go bad. The fridge might help “keep” them longer if you didn’t want to put them in the freezer – it’s worth a shot!

4. Lisa January 23, 2015 at 12:25 pm

I found your recipe this morning, three years after it was published, oh well ;). Just made them and my daughter thought they were delicious! So thank you for the recipe!

• TeachEatLove February 8, 2015 at 1:36 am

Aw, super! Thanks so much for the feedback 🙂

5. Jodene February 9, 2015 at 3:21 am

I made these today for my 16 month old son – he loved them so much! Thanks for a quick, easy, tasty, and healthy recipe!

• TeachEatLove February 9, 2015 at 3:24 am

Yay! Glad to hear it! Thanks for the comment 🙂

6. Candlle October 20, 2015 at 1:33 am

Do you ever add a leavener? Might add some dark chocolate chips for momma☺️

• TeachEatLove October 21, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Hi! It doesn’t need a leavener – it’s a very dense (but light) “cookie” that will stay mounded unless you flatten it a little. They’re a great snack for little eaters, but if you want real chocolate chip cookies, these will almost certainly not do the trick for you 🙂

7. Dee December 19, 2015 at 7:26 pm

This recipe is fantastic. I was looking for something I could give my little girl for snacks that wasn’t loaded with sugar and salt, and this recipe is perfect. Thank you so much! I’ve played around with it a bit, using homemade pear sauce instead of apple sauce, zucchini or shredded sweet potato instead of (or in addition to) carrot, different dried fruit, ginger as well as cinnamon, shredded coconut, etc – it’s so versatile, and a great way to get veggies and other nutrients into a picky toddler. I make the batch, spread it out flat on a cookie sheet and then slice it into squares, and freeze most of the batch (stuff goes mouldy really quickly where I live). We have used them when travelling, and have them on hand when we go shopping to prevent hunger-induced meltdowns. I can’t thank you enough for this now-indispensible part of our lives.

8. Fen January 19, 2016 at 2:56 am

I usually zap versions of these in the microwave – about 2-3 minutes works for me. I don’t use nut butter (daycare is nut-free). I use quick oats and make the cookies about 1 to 1/2 inches in diameter. I’ve tried using just applesauce or yam as the “glue” and they just don’t work as well as bananas.

• TeachEatLove January 22, 2016 at 11:19 am

Hi! Thanks for the comment! We’re nut free now, too – my youngest has an allergy. I modified these and successfully used Greek yogurt in place of the nut butter. Here’s the link if you’re interested: Nut Free Toddler Cookies Thanks again, and happy baking!

9. Dawn February 2, 2016 at 5:17 pm

Delicious!

• TeachEatLove February 3, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Thanks, Dawn! Glad you liked them!

10. Linda Friesen February 3, 2016 at 4:23 pm

Just getting ready to make the toddler cookies with my 3 year old grandson. Should I grease the cookie sheet? Looks delicious!

Thanks
    Linda

• TeachEatLove February 3, 2016 at 6:23 pm

Hi Linda! I’ve always used silicone-coated cookie sheets, so sticking has never been a problem for me. A little parchment or a bit of butter probably couldn’t hurt, but these aren’t like regular cookies. They’re very light and muffin-ish, so I doubt they could stick much at all. Hope he likes them! 🙂

11. Molly J. May 24, 2016 at 9:45 pm

These were met with acceptance by all 4 boys today, ranging from 16.mo.-almost 5! To answer the comment above, I used an ungreased air bake sheet and they did stick a little but not really enough to make me go to the extra step of greasing the sheet. I don’t buy PAM but if you have some, it’s probably not a bad idea.

• TeachEatLove June 22, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Yay! So glad they like it! I have a great cookie sheet from Crate and Barrel that’s coated with silicone (it’s been my workhorse for years); if I didn’t have it, I might use parchment paper to prevent sticking. But I might not if I’m feeling lazy 😉

12. Namagiri Sridhar June 8, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Hi Anne,

Can we use dairy butter instead of nut butter? If so the same amount at room temperature? Thank you! Cant wait to make this. I have been feeding my son unhealthy cookies.

• TeachEatLove June 22, 2016 at 6:50 pm

Hi! Sorry for the delayed response, but no, you can’t sub regular butter for the nut butter. The nut butter adds body and cohesion, which dairy butter wouldn’t.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks